Friday, March 27, 2009

I try to get clean

kw: product testing, opinion

A few days ago I reviewed Green Goes With Everything (here). The book is mainly an extended advertisement for the new line of Shaklee products. I've used a very few Shaklee products for nearly forty years, including Basic H, the blue-colored household cleanser concentrate. I mainly use it in the shower. It is the only thing with which I've cleaned my body since 1970. Every evening, I use about one CC on my hair and face (I keep it out of my eyes), and another CC on my body. Thus, a gallon jug is good for almost 2,000 showers. I use it undiluted.

I decided to try new Get Clean Basic H2, which replaced Basic H not so long ago. It is claimed to be more concentrated than Basic H. I am finding out if that is true. Last evening, I put two ounces of water in a small squeeze bottle and added a quarter ounce of H2. That's an 8:1 dilution. After some experimentation, I found I needed several CC to get cleaned off.

Tonight I added another quarter ounce to the squeeze bottle, making it a 4:1 dilution. I used one CC on my hair. Not quite good enough. A second wash with one CC got my hair and face clean. A couple CC on my body did well enough.

I'll add another half ounce to the bottle tomorrow and see how it works at 2:1 dilution (or 33%). I suspect it'll require going that far, or all the way to a 1:1 dilution (50%) before I can get equally clean with one CC, as I do with one CC of H. Should that be true, I'll judge the product acceptable. At the moment, it is provisionally "barely acceptable".

No comments: