Friday, October 22, 2010

When E I and O are the same

kw: observations, english language, phonics

Today for the first time I saw the name Jayson Werth in print. He is an outfielder for the Philadelphia Phillies, and drove in an insurance run by getting an eighth inning home run in the fifth playoff game with the Giants.

My interest today is with his surname rather than his athletic career. Until I saw it in the newspaper, I'd somehow had the idea that it was spelled Wirth. I didn't think of Worth because "real words" are less frequently used for English names. Taylor rather than Tailor, for example. Thankfully, a Smith is still a Smith (unless she's a Smythe).

Whether it is spelled Werth, Wirth or Worth, however, the pronunciation is exactly the same! In fact, if it were Wurth, it would still be pronounced the same!! English is not the only language that has inconsistent vowel phonetics, but it is definitely the worst. Items like this give my Japanese-born wife fits.

No comments: