Monday, April 20, 2009

Bouncing back, inventively

kw: observations, innovation, lists

While gathering ideas for My Grandfathers' Depression, I was intrigued by a number of the inventions of the 1930s. I went back to gather more. Here is a smattering thereof:

Technologies
  • Radar
  • Helicopter
  • Jet Engine
  • Air Conditioning
  • CRT Television
  • Analog Computer
  • Electronic Digital Computer
  • Transistor
Health
  • Sulfa Antibiotics
  • Alka-Seltzer
Foods
  • Chocolate Chips
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
  • Cheeseburger
  • Twinkies
  • Snickers (& a variety of candies and candy bars)
  • Birdseye Frozen Foods
Consumer Goods
  • "Monopoly"
  • Scotch Tape
  • The "15" Puzzle
  • Zippo Lighter
  • LP Records (33 1/3 RPM)
  • Nylons
  • Pinball Machines
I suspect it would not take much digging to multiply this list. It makes me a bit more optimistic that the dire predictions we are hearing from all sides are not the whole story of the near future.

No comments: