Friday, April 03, 2009

Art in only one Terminal

kw: travel notes, art

This post refers to Thursday, April 2. For reasons to be posted later, I could not get online until this evening.

Thursday was a travel day. I'm in California for a church-related conference. For some reason, the best connection I could make for getting from Philadelphia to the Ontario, CA airport required a 4-hour layover in Dallas. I was at the Philly airport plenty early, so I did what I usually do, wandered around looking for artwork to photograph. Except for a couple of clever advertising posters, there was nothing in all of Terminal A. I hadn't been in this terminal before, but it is the most Philistine of the terminals in this airport.

Once I got to Dallas, I was having trouble finding art at first, when I happened to look down. I flew into Terminal C and out of D, and in Terminal D I found these large mandala-like works, about a dozen of them, spaced among the gates. They are something like 20 feet in diameter, and not all are this kind of mosaic. This one was one I could get partway up the Mezzanine stairs for a better angle. However, I did distort the image a bit so it is easier to see the pattern. I resized it by 0.5x horizontally.


At one of the other pieces, I walked around it and took several nearly vertical images with a wide-angle lens. This is a stitched panorama of three of them. If it weren't so hard to get people off them for a photo, I'd have gone all the way around. Oh, well.


There are also a couple larger installations in the corners of the terminal. I'll save them for later.

No comments: