Monday, May 24, 2021

A roughly mixed SF collection

kw: book reviews, science fiction, short stories, collections

My "when I can't read anything else" book this past few weeks has been The Sixth Science Fiction Megapack, an e-book I got for a promotional price of 99¢…and that's about what it is worth. It contains a few classics such as "Out of All Them Bright Stars" by Nancy Kress, "The Nine Billion Names of God" by Arthur C. Clarke, and "The Syndic" by C.M. Kornbluth, and a couple of the lesser-known stories by writers such as Philip K. Dick and Ray Bradbury. Most of the other stories are by authors I had never heard of, and I find that is for good reason. They were definitely bottom-of-the-barrel stuff. Usually when I skip the bulk of a story it is because it is vulgar, but in this volume I skipped out of several stories simply because they were either based on bad ideas or too badly written to make them worth ingesting; sometimes both.

Let this be my shortest review so far. I hope this volume represents the nadir of the MEGAPACK® series.

No comments: