Wednesday, July 05, 2023

Is Singapore a portal?

 kw: blogs, blogging, spider scanning

I don't know why this didn't occur to me week ago. This level of activity from a tiny place like Singapore must have an external origin:


Look particularly at the June 25th item. This blog has fewer than 3,000 posts. Did someone gulp down the whole thing in one day? Perhaps, and that implies automated scanning. I don't know why, though. Just for context, in this report, everything except Singapore looks like a normal month for this blog:

I suspect at least 10-20 actors out there, using servers in Singapore through VPN's. Singapore has many of the fastest servers in the world, so they're an attractive way-station for VPN users with fast connections. Going through a server in one's own country can slow things down mightily. Via my VPN I've encountered servers in the US that throttle everything to 3Mbps or less. That's like 1980's speeds! Fortunately, most US-based servers are lots faster than that.



No comments: