Saturday, June 23, 2012

JCP gets it right

kw: observations, apparel

Two and a half years ago I posted about a printed label inside undershirts, that got scratchy with use. For reference, here is the closeup image of the thick, cracked ink in one of my shirts after being worn about 100 times:

The ink shows obvious cracks, and it is thick and rubbery. When it cracks, it curls a little, making lots of sharp edges. As I wrote, I responded by wearing these shirts inside out. They are under a dress shirt anyway, so they don't show.

I did not report at the time, but the shirt is from J.C. Penney. I didn't want to embarrass them. But I am happy to note the name now, because a year or so later, they changed the ink in this brand of shirt. I have been wearing the new ones right side out (label side in), with no irritation.

In the image below, also after about 100 wearings, though the ink is noticeably wearing, it is rubbing off rather than cracking. It is much thinner than the old ink, and I can't feel it on the shirt.

I don't know whether the changed location of manufacture (Canada instead of the UAE) had anything to do with the change in ink formulation. I hope the primary reason was that JCP folks were wearing their own products and noticed the shortcoming.

Regardless how it came about, bravo to J.C. Penney.

No comments: